Sunday, June 11, 2017

Fort George Brewery (collab) - 3-Way IPA 2017

The juice is loose!
For the past several years, Astoria, Oregon's Fort George Brewery has started off the summer with the release of their venerated seasonal collaboration, 3-Way IPA. It's become an annual tradition, with two different, well-known craft brewers joining creative forces with Fort George each year. This year's 3-Way had to be the most highly anticipated yet. The buzz has been growing steadily for at least a month and I was starting to wonder if the beer could possibly live up to the pre-release hype. I won't keep you in suspense. IT DOES!

The collaboration brewers for this 2017 release are Portland's Great Notion Brewing (Yay! My Alberta Street neighborhood brewery!) and Seattle's Reuben's Brews. Of course, I'm very familiar with Fort George--my favorite coastal road trip brewery--and Great  Notion gets a significant amount of my discretionary income, being directly on the route from my return-from-work bus stop and my front porch. Reuben's Brews is new to me, but I've heard nothing but praise from my friends in the Emerald City.

Hey, let's just get right to the review...

The beer poured into the glass a cloudy, golden orange color with a foamy white head that rose up to more than a finger in height. The head dissipated slowly, with copious amounts of webby lacing left behind all over the glass.

Wow! What an aroma! Big smells of tropical and citrus fruit came wafting out of the can as soon as I popped the top. Orange, guava, pineapple, tangerine, melon, mango. It's a tropical fruit salad, folks, and I mean that in a good way.

Dank, juicy and delicious. Primary taste of tropical and citrus fruit with some resinous pine. Some spicy notes. Appropriate hops bitterness for a respectable IPA. That juicy fruit flavor is the star of the show! Ha, tastes as good going down as it does burping up. You hopheads know what  I'm talking about.

Medium mouthfeel with a bit of a chew to the body. Smooth finish. No detectable alcohol heat to this 7% ABV brew.

Overall, this is a wonderful, beautiful IPA. I guess three heads really are better than one! This is my favorite beer of the summer so far and it will take something pretty special to knock 3-Way 2017 off the high pedestal I'm placing it on. I recommend getting yourselves a few four packs of this gem before they become scarce. I got mine at New Seasons.

I'm giving 3-Way 2017 a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4 AND a droolie. Merry the Wonder Beagle went on a hop hunt the entire time I was sipping on this one, and I can't blame her! It is an amazing beer!


No comments:

Post a Comment