Saturday, January 7, 2017

Baerlic Brewing Company - Dark Thoughts Black IPA

It's satanically delicious...
It's another snow day here in Portland, OR. It doesn't snow very often in Stumptown, but when it does, the whole freaking city shuts down. Heck, we only have one snow plow and the denizens of this chintzy burg are some of the worst drivers in the nation. Thus, when the white stuff comes gently floating down from the sky in Portland, it's best to just stay indoors. Gratefully, I have a truckload of tasty craft beer in my fridge. If I had to--absolutely had to--I could jump on a city bus and visit any number of fantastic craft breweries along the route. If they stay open, that is to say, but happily, I'm snug and cozy here at the Shotgun Shack.

Baerlic Brewing is one of the breweries that I can easliy get to by hopping on the 70 bus. It drops me off about a 1/2 block away from their awesome taproom. If you haven't been there, son, then put it on your list! 

Today, I'm drinking a bomber of Baerlic's Dark Thoughts Black IPA. This devilish brew was just released and I do believe I was the first person in the taproom to pick one up yesterday. This Black IPA, or Cascadian Dark Ale (CDA), comes with a 6.66% ABV and 66.6% IBU's. See what they did there? With that pentagram adorning the label, this stuff probably isn't going to appeal to the Moral Majority folks, but they all drink Hamm's or holy water or something, so they don't concern me. How's the beer? Hey, it's awesome!

Dark Thoughts poured into my glass a deep, dark brownish black color with a creamy, clumpy tan head. The head rose up to a full finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A full, thin cap of foam was left behind.

Aroma was citrus hops, tangerine, and grapefruit, with hints of pine and roasted malt in the background.

Taste was a pleasant surprise. If you blindfolded me, I would identify this beer as a straight-up IPA. That's not a complaint. It's a darn tasty IPA. Loads of bitter hops deliciousness. Citrus and pine. The winning note is a subtle, robust, earthy malt flavor. Just a hint of cocoa nibs. Nice!

Medium mouthfeel with appropriate carbonation. Smooth finish with the hops and malt flavors taking turns for attention on the palate after each sip.

Overall, this is probably my most favorite example of the style to date, whether you call it a CDA or a Black IPA. Excellent beer, Maynard, and you should go pick one or two up for yourself. Word to the wise: take the bus.

I'm giving Dark Thoughts a BeerGuyPDX ratng of 4 crushed can out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment