Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Gigantic Brewing Company - Shazoo Milk Stout

Do you shazoo?
What the heck is a shazoo? I googled it but the only thing I could find was a YouTube video of a Family Guy clip involving a European See and Say. Apparently, European cows say "shazoo" instead of "moo". Hey, I'm not making this crap up, I'm just reporting it.

Shazoo is also the monicker of the beer I'm drinking tonight. Gigantic Brewing Company's Shazoo Milk Stout to be precise. I picked up a bomber of this beer at New Seasons. Sorry, I don't recall the price. Hey, it didn't bankrupt me, I can tell you that. The label proclaims an ABV of 8.5% Ah, the label also says the beer is "inspired by Europe" with the addition of milk sugar. I see what they did there.

How does this Europe inspired beer rank on the ol' Beer Guy PDX crushed can scale? Let's find out!

The beer poured into my glass a pitch black color that showed some mahogany tones when held up to the light. A creamy, clumpy, mocha head rose up to almost a finger thick. The foam dissipated at a moderate rate and left behind a thin cap of spotty lacing.

Aroma was espresso and chocolate. Sweet malt. Vanilla. Caramel.

Taste was sweet lactose right up front, but that was immediately toned down by coffee and bitter cocoa flavors. Robust roasted malt. Smooth. No hint of booze to this 8.5% beer. Sweet but not at all cloying. Just a hint of smokiness.

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel. Appropriate carbonation. Creamy, silky finish with all the aforementioned flavors balancing on the palate at the end.

Overall, this is an excellent beer. Flavorful, rich and surprisingly complex for the style. I like it!

I'm giving Shazoo a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment