Sunday, October 9, 2016

Hopworks Urban Brewery - Abominable Winter Ale (2016)

Have you tried this yeti?
I'm trying my best to stay hunkered down while the pumpkin beers take over every cold case in town. Gawd! They're everywhere! It's truly my least favorite beer season. Just in case you didn't know, I believe putting squash in beer is an abomination! An ABOMINATION, I say! If you like pumpkin beer, well, you are out of your gourd. Heh, heh, I crack myself up.

Gratefully, the seasonal winter beers will be on the way soon. Even more gratefully, Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) has gotten on the stick and already released their most popular seasonal beer, Abominable Winter Ale. I love the stuff and this year it's better than ever!

It's good! The SALES SHEET describes Abominable as a "Winter IPA". 7.3% ABV. 70 IBU's. Munich and light caramel malts. An organic Northwest-hop medley that creates complex floral, spicy, and citrus hoppiness. What's my two cents? Let's find out...

The beer poured into my glass from a bomber (also available in pint-sized cans) a hazy, reddish amber color with a thick, creamy, light mocha head. The head had great retention, dissipating slowly and leaving a solid cap and webs of lacing behind.

Aroma was citrus hops and caramel malt. Pine. Floral and herbal notes.

Taste followed the nose. Resinous pine. Indistinct citrus: orange, lemon and grapefruit. Lucious, earthy malt flavor. Herbal spiciness. Sweet malt flavor expertly balanced against a bitter hops punctuation that perked up the taste buds after every sip. Notes of tropical fruit and pear.

Medium mouthfeel with a bit of body to it. Good carbonation.

Overall, this is an amazing IPA. Layers of complex flavor to continually delight the palate. SO good. Virtually perfect and enough to earn a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4. Plenty of taste and a terrific distraction from the heinous atrocity of pumpkin awfulness assaulting us right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment