Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Great Notion Brewing - Whole Melon IPA

Better than a Hüll in the head?
Wow, wow, wowsers! Great Notion Brewing is quickly establishing a reputation as THEE juicy IPA brewer in town. These folks know how to squeeze some flavor out of hops, I'll tell you what! How do they do it? Black magic? Alchemy? I don't know and I really don't care HOW they do it, just as long as they keep on doing it! Know what I mean? Yeah, you do.

The only thing more awesome about the quality and quantity of amazing beers coming out of this lil' neighborhood brewpub is that it's in my very own Alberta Street neighborhood. Seriously, I walk right by Great Notion every day on my way home from work. Jelly? Jelly, jelly, jelly? You should be. I FINALLY have a world class brewery within walking distance of my house. I could drop in every single day and knock back a cold one and still get home to feed the dog before she feels compelled to chew up my couch. How awesome is that?

Today, I dodged a plethora of hipster tourists and the usual neighborhood panhandlers and found myself in front of Great Notion mere minutes after the 8 bus dropped me off. I gazed at the tap list and took a few minutes to decide what tasty brew would accompany me home in a 32 ounce crowler. I received generous sips of the Plump IPA and the Whole Melon IPA. Both were fantastic, hoppy, juicy delights, but the Whole Melon IPA really grabbed my attention. Did I already say wowsers?

Whole Melon IPA is brewed with Hüll (or Huell) Hops. I read up on them. They are apparently from Germany and descendants of Cascade Hops. I must say, I've never heard of them before but they made an incredibly flavorful and decidedly different brew in Whole Melon IPA. I couldn't wait to get home and crack that crowler open.

The beer poured into my new, fancy, Italian crystal IPA glass a hazy, murky, peach-tinted, golden orange color with a creamy, clumpy, off-white head. The head rose up to more than a full finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A few thin spots of lacing were left floating at the top.

Aroma was amazing. Huge wafts of tropical fruit, juicy citrus and Honeydew melon filled my nose and the room. My wife remarked about how fruity and floral this beer smelled, and she never does that. The Wonder Beagle perked up her nose and started pacing excitedly under foot. Props from the room, Great Notion!

Taste followed the nose. Big, bold juicy flavor. The unique melon taste was the star of the show but tropical fruit flavors of guava, pineapple and citrus notes of tangerine and orange made this beer much more than a one-trick-pony. Sweet caramel malt. A pleasant spiciness in the mix, too.

Medium mouthfeel with a succulent, juiciness on the finish. No hint of alcohol in this 6.5% brew. Appropriate carbonation. Lingering tropical fruit and melon flavors lasted on the palate until the next sip.

Overall, this is a masterful, easy drinking IPA. I loved it and will be going back for more on payday Friday. If you don't like this beer, I don't know you. Whole Melon IPA earns a perfect BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4 AND the coveted Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment