Monday, August 15, 2016

Culmination Brewing Company - Phaedrus IPA

Inspired brewing...OR MADNESS?
I've known quite a few bar stool "philosophers". You know the guys I'm talking about; the more beer they drink, the more deep thoughts they spew. Well, they think they're spewing deep thoughts--often they're just spewing. Anyway, today's review is about a beer with a deep, philosophical name: Culmination Brewing Company's Phaedrus IPA.

They have an ancient Greek reference going on here. I'm talking about Plato's Phaedrus. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about the subject. Everything I know about ancient Greek philosophers I learned from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure:

Bill S. Preston, Socrates: "The only true wisdom consists of knowing you know nothing."
Ted Logan: "That's us, dude!"

Phaedrus IPA comes with an ABV of 6.7% and 55 IBU's. The label advises that Millennium, Galena, Simcoe, Mosaic and Citra hops went into the kettle. Dang! That's quite an "A" list of hops varieties there, I'll say! The label art reminds me of the motorcycle chase in that a-ha Take On Me video...I'm pretty sure that wasn't intentional. Anyway, let's get on to the review!

The beer poured into my glass a slightly hazy, golden, light orange color with a foamy, creamy, bright white head. The head rose up to more than a finger thick and dissipated slowly. A thin cap and light, webby lacing were left behind. Quite a lovely beer. See photo above.

Aroma was sweet caramel malt and loads of tropical fruit up front. Passion fruit, yuzu and pineapple. Tangerine. Floral notes.

Taste followed the nose. Boatloads of tropical fruit flavors. Respectable hops bitterness balanced well against the sweet caramel malt. Some spicy herbal notes. Citrus hops flavor was left on the palate at the end. Nice!

Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Semi-dry finish with lingering, subtle flavors visiting the taste buds after every sip.

Overall, this is a fantastic IPA with enough flavor surprises to make it a stand out among the plethora of world class Portland IPA's. Phaedrus IPA is a keeper and--dare I say--divinely inspired. I'm forking over another perfect BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment