Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Baerlic Brewing Company - Invincible IPA

Maximum fortitude in a bottle?
Baerlic Brewing Company just recently started bottling their beer. That's a good thing. Not just because it represents a significant milestone for a great local brewery, but because I NEED to buy beer in readily available packaged form. (Yes, it's all about ME.) I must admit that I'm not so good about growlers and such. Honestly, I've tried every form of beer conveyance ever invented. My problem is that I'm a lazy, forgetful doofus. I can't tell you how many times I've wandered into a brewery or taproom and discovered that I left my growler at home on the kitchen table. Doh! I was never a Boy Scout, as my constant lack of preparedness fully demonstrates.

Yes, I do much better if a brewery has their goods waiting for me in a bottle or can to take home. It's even better if I can buy their beer at my favorite bottleshop, which is what happened recently when I spied bottles of Baerlic brews in the cold case at Hollywood Beverage. I plunked a bomber of Invincible IPA into my basket ASAP.

I've had Invincible IPA before at the Baerlic Brewing taproom. It's one of their flagship beers. Brewed with Nugget, Cascade, Chinook and Amarillo, it has some of my favorite hops in the mix. It comes with an ABV at 6.7% and a reasonable 65 IBU's. Let's get to the drinkin' and reviewin', shall we?

The beer poured into my glass a slightly hazy, golden orange color with a bit of a peachy hue when held up to the light. The creamy white head rose up to almost two fingers thick in my IPA glass and demonstrated some staying power. Clumps of foam and webby lacing were left behind all over the glass.

Aroma was exactly what you'd expect with this hops profile: orange and tangerine; light, resinous pine. Fresh floral notes in the background. Some tropical fruit. Sweet, caramel malt.

Taste delivered a respectable hops bitterness with the flavors of grapefruit and orange citrus. Light pine and tropical fruit. The initial hops bitterness faded quickly and let the malt flavor shine through. Some spicy, herbal notes. No alcohol taste observed. This is an easy drinker.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Dry finish with a good hops and malt balance left to please the palate at the end.

Overall, this is an excellent Northwest IPA that belongs in every Portlander's fridge. It delivers big flavor, has excellent hops/malt balance, and the price of admission is spot on. I honestly can't find a flaw. I would drink Invincible IPA any day, every day with zero reservations or complaints. I'm right on the edge between a 3 1/2 and a perfect 4 crushed can score. The Droolie is a given. My blind, ninja master beagle left droplets of drool all over the living room floor while I sipped it down. Okay, I'm going with the 4 because everybody should start bringing this beer home. I want to see those yellow recycling bins FILLED with empty bombers of Invincible IPA on trash day. Let's make it happen, PDX!



No comments:

Post a Comment