Thursday, June 23, 2016

Solemn Oath Brewery & Ex Novo Brewing Co. - Thick as Thieves

Dead men drink no ales...
A local publican recently informed me that my glassware is filthy. Well, he didn't put it exactly that way, but he did say that the bubbles in my photos indicate that my glasses aren't beer clean. I had to let him know that my glassware is more often than not cleaned with whatever t-shirt I happen to be wearing.

Hey! Stop judging me! It's not like I make anyone else drink from my ass-stanky glassware! Most of the time! WHAT DOES NOT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONG!

I'm pretty sure pirates didn't care about the cleanliness of their drinking paraphernalia. (slick segue coming up...) Speaking 'bout PIRATES! (warned you...) The beer I'm reviewing today is Thick as Thieves, a collaboration sour ale from Chicago's Solemn Oath Brewery and Portland's own Ex Novo Bewing Company. The label features the vissage of a tearful, split-faced pirate. There's even a parrot and a cutlass drawn on there.

The beer is described on said label as so...

"DRY HOPPED BELGO-AMERICAN SOUR ALE..."

Intriquing? I'll say! (Is is pronounced Bel-GO or Bel-JO?) We are also advised of an ABV at 6.0%. How does this Belgo-American Sour Ale rate, you ask? Let's find out!

The beer poured into my filthy goblet a hazy golden orange color with a bubbly white head. The head dissipated quickly and left behind a thin ring of bubbles.

Aroma was light pineapple, kumquat and quince. Very different. A little bit of yeast funkiness. Herbal and floral notes.

Taste delivered some citrus and mildly grassy hops flavors. Nice, clean, sour flavor with some citrus pith. All followed up with a clean malt finish.

Medium mouthful with good carbonation. Semi-dry finish. To me, the malt flavor left on the palate at the end was the star. Nothing muddled. No off-putting flavors. Everything seemed to come together in a very pleasing structure.

Overall, this a very flavorful, easy to drink sour beer that I very much enjoyed. I could drink galleons of the stuff! (See what I did there?) I'm giving Thick as Thieves a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment