Monday, June 27, 2016

Coalition Brewing Company - Dropping Science Double IPA

Drop it like it's hops...
Following the Brexit debacle, everybody is talking about who's going to "exit" what next. Texas is bringing up their old independence movement (yawn) and some folks around this general vicinity wouldn't mind seeing the Pacific Northwest form the independent nation of Cascadia (Cascramia?). I don't know about all that. I'm not really a throw the baby out with the bathwater kind of guy. I do know one thing for sure: I'm not living in any country that doesn't do beer right!

We certainly have everything we need to brew the best beer in the world right here: a bounty of amazing hops; clean, delicious water; a world class brewing operation just about everywhere you look. I imagine beer would be our number one export--right after big ol' truckloads of logs. I think the independent nation of Beervana would be awesome!

What I love about living in Portland, Oregon the most, besides the fact that most people are progressive in their politics and passive-aggressive in their demeanor, is that there's almost always a surprise waiting for me in the cold case at the supermarket or bottle shop. I seriously drink a lot of beer. A LOT OF BEER! If I lived in some podunky, clunky, beer-poor stunky part of the country that has 99% of their cold cases filled with nothing but BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors), I would be one miserable beer guy. Gratefully, I live here and the surprises abound!

Today, I found a bomber of Coalition Brewing Company's Dropping Science Double IPA waiting for me in the fridge at QFC. This beer, made right here in Portland, is brewed with Northwest Chinook Hops. It boasts an 8.0% ABV and 85 IBU's. Sounds right up my alley! Let's give it a run!

The beer poured into my pint glass a slightly hazy, golden copper color with a white, foamy head. The head rose up to a half inch tall and dissipated at a moderate rate. A ring and a few spots of thin lacing were left behind.

Aroma was citrus and resinous pine. Sweet caramel malt. Some spicy herbal notes in the olfactory uptake.

Taste followed the nose. Citrus hops: orange and grapefruit. Piney. A hint of bitter pith. Herbal. Spicy. Excellent malt/hops balance. The clean malt flavor lingered after the initial hops punch retreated from my palate. Yum!

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Juicy, mildly palpable finish. I love those Chinook Hops!

Overall, this is a slamdunk of a delicious Pacific Northwest IPA. I would drink this beer anywhere, anyplace, anytime. I'm giving Dropping Science a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4. Chalk up another win for Beervana!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for checking out our beer, so glad you enjoyed! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete