Sunday, March 13, 2016

Against The Grain Brewery - The Brown Note

Just because you CAN, doesn't
mean you SHART...
Wow, I just don't know where to begin... Let's see, I was beer shopping at Portland's Belmont Station bottle shop today, perusing the aisles, checking out the new-to-me brews, when my eyes fell on a can of Against The Grain Brewery's The Brown Note.

What the hell? What? The? HELL? Wow, I think it's the very first beer can I've even seen with such a prominent scatological reference... Yup, there's a cartoon depiction of some hairy dude's backside with a serious case of mud butt. Skidmarks. Sharts. Hersey squirts. Hey, call it whatever you want, that's a poopy pair of chonies, right there.

Oh, Lord, that has got to be the most disturbing label art I've ever encountered. Just gross...so I HAD to buy a can. I just had to! No way was I going to walk out of that store without one! In the very least, I would have that perfect, singular, gleeful moment when I pulled it out of the fridge and told my wife, "Look what I bought today!"

Heh, heh, or maybe I should just leave the can sitting there between the butter and the yogurt and let her discover it for herself...

Hey, I know what you're thinking...does it really taste like...well, you know. Let's find out, shall we?

The beer poured from the cheeky one pint can into my glass a true brown color with a reddish hue when held up to the light. Creamy, mocha head that dissipated at a moderate rate. A thin ring and some spotty lacing were left behind. Good looking beer.

Aroma was biscuity malt with some coffee and cocoa notes. Roasted nuts. Toffee.

Taste followed the nose. Toasted nuts. Earthy, bready malt. Coffee and cocoa. Sweet caramel but with some decent hops bitterness to round it out nicely.

Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Smooth finish with the earthy, toasted malt flavor left pleasantly behind on the palate at the end. Nice!

Here's proof that you really can't judge a book--or beer--by the cover. There's absolutely nothing sh*tty about The Brown Note. I like it! This is a respectable beer and if you can get around the poopy can art, I recommend you give it a whirl...or swirl. Whatever. I'm giving The Brown Note a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment