Sunday, January 31, 2016

Oakshire Brewing - Ride Your Bike Double Red Ale

I want to ride it where I like...
When I was a kid in the 60's and early 70's, the bicycle was THE essential piece of kid equipment. We didn't have fancy-dancy hoverboards or skateboards (that actually worked) or helicopter moms to drive us to the mall...heck, we didn't even have a mall

If you didn't have a bike, well, you were a kid loser. Remember, we didn't have cell phones and our parents rarely let us use the house phone. (Cue my mom voice: Who do you want to CALL? Someone in CHINA?) In order to have any kind of fun, a kid had to get on his/her bike and search the neighborhood for other kids to do stuff with--we called in "playing" back in the day. A two-wheeled mode of transportation was the fastest and easiest way to get from point A to point B. If you were on foot, you usually got left behind.

I was a helluva lucky kid. In 1969, my dad presented me and my twin brother with identical Schwinn Coppertone Stingrays. Dudes! My bike was the absolute height of status in all of Kiddom! We were the envy of the entire block. I totally tricked mine out with a tall sissy bar, a tiger-striped banana seat and a Batman license plate. I even got one of those bitchin' (that's how we talked in 1969) wheelie bars. Man, could I pop a MEAN wheelie! What the hell am I talking about, you ask? Check this out...




Bikes were absolutely NOT cool when I was in high school. Seriously. Only dweebs and total geeks rode bicycles in the late 70's. I traded that bike in for a muscle car and never looked back. Actually, I didn't literally trade it in. That poor, neglected bike rusted away in my parents garage for a decade or two. I'm pretty sure it was sold at a garage sale. Looking back, it was certainly a bit of a betrayal on my part, and I sure wish I had that Stringray back in my possession. I'd look mighty snazzy riding it up to New Seasons and back to fetch a sixer of fine craft beer.

The reason I'm waxing nostalgic for my trusty Stingray is the beer I picked up today. Oakshire Brewing's Ride Your Bike is a Double Red Ale. I picked up the bomber for $7.95 at Hollywood Beverage. Is it a bitchin' brew? Let's find out...

The beer poured from bomber into pint glass a deep amber color with a creamy, tan head. The head rose up to a full finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. Webby lacing and a clumpy cap of foam were left behind.

Aroma was citrus hops and earthy, biscuity malt up front. Hints of pine and some floral notes.

Taste delivered a PNW hops profile ASAP. Bitter grapefruit rind and resinous pine. Followed up right behind the hops bitterness was a rich, earthy, bready malt flavor. There was a lack of sweetness, but I found that to be the best thing about this red ale. The 8.6% ABV was apparent, delivering some noticeable hotness on the finish.

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Very easy to drink. Nothing cloying, of thick or heavy about this beer. I like it!

Overall, this is a damn nice beer! I don't often drink red or brown ales. I'm an IPA guy, primarily. Ride Your Bike delivers some big hops flavors that satisfied my big hops cravings. Good stuff, and I'm giving this beer a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment