Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Loowit Brewing Company - Flawless Victory IPA

Finish him! (...or it...whatever)
I used to play a lot of video games. One of the first PC (that stands for personal computer not politically correct) games I ever played was Mortal Kombat. What a cool game. Martial artists vs. immortal demons in a one-on-one, 2-D arena of mayhem!

I spent a whole bunch of hours playing Mortal Kombat. It was a fairly simple game to play, but practice made perfect. If you were adept enough to master all of the basic and special moves of your selected character, and able to defeat your opponent without taking any damage, you were rewarded with a flawless victory; which just so happens to be the name of the beer I'm reviewing today.

Loowit Brewing Company is located just over the Washington State border in beautiful Vancouver. Flawless Victory is an India Pale Ale with an ABV of 7.5% and 90+ IBU's. I must admit that given the brewery's name, I was really hoping I could use the phrase "Loowit blew it" in my review, but alas, that was not to be. This is a darn delicious IPA!

The beer poured into my IPA glass a slightly hazy, deep amber color with a creamy, white head. The head rose up to more than a finger thick and dissipated slowly. Copious amounts of webby lacing were left behind.

Aroma was sweet caramel malt and indistinct citrus hops. Hints of pine. Light tropical fruit.

Taste followed the nose. Some appreciable dankness in the hops profile; citrus, pine resin and hints of the ol' sticky icky. Solid malt flavor. Good balance of the sweet, earthy malt against the bitter hops.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Noticeable alcohol but not too hot. A bit of a dry finish with the bitter hops and robust malt flavor left behind on the palate.

Overall, this is bold flavored IPA that may not be for everybody, but I liked it a lot. I'm giving Flawless Victory IPA a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment