Saturday, January 2, 2016

January is IPA Month at Oregon Hophouse

Jelly jars at the ready! 3, 2, 1, GO!
Just the other day, while perusing the interwebs, I ran across yet another insipid article that named some rinky-dink little town on the East Coast The Best Beer City in America. This particular "ranking" utilized--get this--Yelp reviews as part of their criteria. Seriously? Does anyone even use Yelp anymore? Yelp is so aughts. Am I right?

I suspect an Ouija board was also used to come up with the dubious rankings. My beloved Portland (Oregon) was ranked number three and I noted that San Diego didn't even make the list...so there you go. Can you say BULL PUCKY, kids? I knew that you could.

The Portland craft beer scene certainly hasn't suffered from these constant snubs, slights, and insults. There are dozens of great breweries and hundreds fantastic beers to drink here, and the beer events are seemingly endless and awesome, too. There are so many events, in fact, that I can't even begin to keep up. "YOU HAVE 3 EVENTS ON YOUR CALENDAR TODAY!" just popped up on my phone. Oh, the busy life of a Beer Guy!

A much anticipated month-long event started yesterday and I was one of the very first people to participate. I'm talking about IPA Month that is going on at both locations of the Oregon Hophouse from January 1 through the 31st. The Hophouse staff has put together an amazing tap list of 12 of the very best Oregon IPA's. It's a blind taste test. The beertenders don't even know what's being poured. Your job is to identify those beers AND choose your favorite.

Here's how it works (snagged from the Hophouse website):

You’ll get a flight of 6 IPAs, and a separate list of all 6 beers including the hop varietals used in each, as disclosed by the brewers. You may get to smell-test some dried hops. You try to match the 6 with a list of 6 beers. Then you get a second flight, and repeat with a second list. If you get 10-12 matches right, you get a free mug club membership (sweeeeet!!!). There will be lesser prizes awarded as the contest progresses. All lists will be graded at the end of each week. You’ll learn how many you got right, and if you earned a prize. Cost to enter the contest is $12/person. Prizes include tshirts, mug club memberships, growlers, gift cards, etc.

Check out this tap list:
  • pFriem IPA 
  • Ex Novo Eliot IPA 
  • Boneyard RPM 
  • Breakside IPA 
  • Buoy IPA 
  • Barley Browns Pallet Jack 
  • Gigantic IPA 
  • Crux Outcast IPA 
  • Laurelwood Workhorse 
  • Ft George Vortex 
  • Double Mountain Hop Lava 
  • Drinking Horse IPA
Honestly, this is much more difficult than it sounds! I'm pretty sure I got one right, but no way did I match all 12! I guess I'll find out the embarrassing results at the end of the week!

Hawthorne Hophouse is located at 4111 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Portland, Oregon 97214. 15th Avenue Hophouse is at 1517 NE Brazee St., Portland, Oregon 97212.

No comments:

Post a Comment