Sunday, January 3, 2016

Burnside Brewing Company - Permafrost Northwest Winter Ale

Perfect for a rare snow day?
I woke up this morning to find my house, yard and entire neighborhood blanketed with fluffy, white snow! It's been a while since Portland, OR has had a real snowstorm. Typically, the stuff disappears the second it hits the ground, but not today! Little kids are outside sledding down driveways and their dads are using shiny, new snow shovels that have been stashed away in toolsheds for a couple of years. (I'm not going to shovel my walk because I'm a lazy idiot who likes to slip and slide on concrete at 6AM.)

How fortuitous that I recently purchased a bomber of Burnside Brewing Company's Permafrost Northwest Winter Ale! This is absolutely the perfect day for a snowy photo-op--and to drink a tasty winter warmer. Did I mention that my furnace is on the fritz? I'm getting ready to watch the Seahawks game in a parka. I can see my breath in my living room. It's like I'm actually at the game! Wait...they're playing in Phoenix. It's probably 75 degrees there. Grrrr.

Permafrost poured into my pint glass a slightly hazy, deep amber color with a thick, creamy, mocha-colored head. The head stuck around for a while and left a full, thin cap and webby lacing behind.

Aroma was earthy malt and cocoa. Light scent of over-ripe fruit. Toasted nuts.

Taste was toasty, biscuity malt up front. Citrus hops--orange and lemon. Cocoa. Dark cherries and roasted filberts. A bit smokey on the finish and a touch of heat from the 8.3% ABV.

Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Creamy finish with a bit of a chew to it. Bitter hops and solid, earthy malt flavors left on the palate at the end. Nice balance.

I like this winter warmer! I'm finishing it off as the Seahawks are knocking on the door for a touchdown... SHORT! Dang it! Anyway, this is a nice brew. I'm giving Permafrost a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment