Friday, January 15, 2016

BTU Brasserie

And now for something completely different...
After visiting umpteen zillion brewpubs and brewery taprooms, they all kind begin to blend together. Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but I'm always looking for something just a little bit different. Hey! How about something completely different? How about a brewery that is also a Chinese restaurant? You don't run across that everyday, do you?

I'm talking about one of my favorite Portland breweries: BTU Brasserie. The name doesn't sound at all like a place that serves up some tasty dim sum and Chinese-inpsired dishes, but that's what they do at BTU. Check out the menu HERE.

It can get damn tedious eating pub grub that consists of nothing but sliders, tots and cheese curds. Seriously, if I see another sweet potato fry this week, I think I'll scream. BTU is a tasty, welcome diversion from the tired, old PDX brewpub norm.

The happy hour at BTU is a nice deal. Every Tuesday through Sunday, from 2 to 6PM, you'll find $3 pints and $5 dim sum. There's also a $7 cocktail deal (full bar) but you know I'm there for the beer. At my most recent visit, I found two tasty lagers that fit my after work mood just fine.

The Hipster Lager is an American pilsner brewed with puffed Jasmine rice. It comes with an ABV of 5.6% and I found it to be crisp and refreshing. I would describe it as a premium PBR--an old school lager without the rough edges.

The Mama Z Cerveza is a Vienna-style Mexican lager brewed with corn and crystal malt. ABV is 6.3%. I really like this brew and it made me wax nostalgic for 20th Century. Mama Z very much resembles those classic Mexican lagers that many of my generation enjoyed before the craft beer revolution took off. Good stuff, compadre!

Of course, BTU brews some solid, Northwest IPA's. They even have a sour on the taplist that was brewed with beets. It's named The Sword and it is about as unique a brew as you'll find--and it is exceptionally delicious.

As for the food, it's excellent and reasonably priced. I recommend the pot stickers, the red oil dumplings, the deconstructed char siu bao, and the Hunan noodles. Man, I'm making myself hungry! Where's my bus pass!

BTU Brasserie is located at 5846 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland OR, 97213. I highly recommend. I'm giving them a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment