Saturday, December 12, 2015

Fort George Brewery - Magnanimous IPA

Magnanimous? I say
MAGNIFICENT!
I drink a lot of different beers. It's my hobby. I have almost 1500 unique beers checked into the Untappd app--and I'm lazy about checking in. There are 471 beer reviews on this blog--and I'm lazy about writing reviews. I'm always on the hunt for a new beer to buy and try. There are four or five new-to-me brews lined up in my fridge right now. What I'm getting at is that a beer has to be pretty damn special for me to stock it up for regular consumption. It's a pretty short list, but I do believe I've found a new beer to add to it.

Fort George Brewery's Magnanimous IPA is a seasonal collaboration that I am praying becomes a part of Fort George's regular line-up. Please, please, please! This is a fantastic beer that I could drink anytime, ALL the time.

The beer is brewed with Grand Fir tips from Earth & Sky Farms of Oregon City. The Fort George website advises that the hops that went into the pot are Simcoe and Chinook. The ABV is 7%.

Magnanimous IPA is a piney hops masterpiece. I suppose I should stop singing its praises and get on with the formal review.

The beer poured from pint-sized can into my IPA glass a golden amber color with a foamy. creamy, bright white head. The head dissipated slowly and left copious amounts of sudsy lacing all over the glass. Quite an attractive, photogenic beer, I must say. The graphics on the can are quite festive, too.

Aroma was pine and more pine, along with citrus and herbal notes. Tropical fruit. Biscuity malt.

Taste followed the nose. Lots of pine, spruce and herbal notes. Hints of gin behind lemon, orange and juicy tropical fruit. Sweet caramel malt calmed down quickly by a respectable, bitter hops finish.

Medium mouthfeel with a little bit of a sticky chew to it at the end. Herbal notes were left behind on the palate, giving this brew a unique, interesting, liquor-like finish.

Overall, this is a wonderful beer that I am totally crushing on hard. The Wonder Beagle was bouncing into the furniture trying to find out where the aroma was coming from, and she drooled up quite a puddle. Perfect score for this one: 4 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment