Monday, December 14, 2015

Block 15 Brewing Company - Autumn Farmhouse Ale

Ah, Autumn!
Oh, no! Here it comes! Rant alert! I recently read a couple of negative beer reviews in one of the local throwaway papers. Actually, I can't really call them reviews--they're more like pompous hit jobs. The articles were written by sarcastic, self-aggrandizing hipsters with pretentious bios and vague pedigrees. It's difficult to figure out exactly where these journalistic titans hail from, but I somehow get the impression that in between the sabbatical in Borneo and that internship at McSweeney's, they spent most of their time playing Guild Wars 2 in grandma's basement. 

These writers make up for their lack of descriptive adjectives with a disdainful screed that makes Donald Trump's tweets look like Shakespearean sonnets. The articles ooze with derision and snobbery. Ack! Who needs that kind of crap? Not the Portland craft brewing community, that's for sure.

You may notice that I rarely post a negative review. If I don't like a beer, I just don't review it. There are PLENTY of wonderful beers to focus on, and I'd rather spend my time letting people know about the fantastic beers they should seek out and enjoy. Additionally, I have HUGE respect for the brewers in this town. They bust their asses to get the best beer in the world into our bellies. I'll cut them some slack for the occasional clunker. Okay, end of rant. Let's get to the beer.

Tonight's beer is definitely NOT a clunker. I'm drinking Block 15 Brewing Company's Autumn Farmhouse Ale. I picked up the 500ml bottle for $5 at a local bottle shop. Deal! The label says it was brewed with "local honey, hops & oats" and the ABV is 6.85%.

The beer poured into my glass a lovely golden color with a subtle peach hue. The white head rose up to two fingers thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. Spotty lace and a thin cap of foam were left behind. Gentle, effervescent bubbles rose up from the bottom of the glass. Purty!

Aroma was mild, yeasty funk with hints of apple, stone fruit and honey.

Taste was Belgian yeast, biscuity malt and an array of fruit flavors. Apple. Pear. Lemon and honey. Nice balance of sweetness and tart.

Light to medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Very easy drinker. 

I paired this brew with the spaghetti and marinara sauce I made for dinner tonight. This is a great beer to have with a meal. The flavors aren't overpowering and complimented rather than detracted from the food.

Autumn Farmhouse Ale is a limited production. I hope they make more in the future! I really like it! I'm giving this tasty beer a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4. I want more!


No comments:

Post a Comment