Thursday, November 5, 2015

Hopworks Urban Brewery - Motherland Russian Imperial Stout

In the People's Republic of
Portland, beer drinks YOU!
Happy International Stout Day! I find it interesting that this particular day of tasty beverage recognition falls almost exactly in line with my craving for some dark, roasty, big flavored beers. I didn't even know International Stout Day was on the calendar until a couple of days ago, but coincidentally, I've been stocking my fridge with some heavy hitters. Hey! I must be psychic! Actually, with the weather getting cooler and the days getting shorter, it's definitely stout season.

Today, in honor of this most celebrated occasion, I'm drinking a Russian Imperial Stout from Portland's own Hopworks Urban Brewery named Motherland. It comes with an ABV of 9.8% and the bomber set me back $8.50. 

The beer poured into my stout glass a near black color with a tan head. The head came up to a finger thick with a little coaxing and dissipated at a moderate rate. A residual ring and some spotty lacing were left behind after the head disappeared.

Aroma was cocoa, coffee and a bit of booze at first whiff. Ripe, dark cherries, anise and blackstrap molasses in the background.

Taste was slightly sweet molasses, roasted malt and dark chocolate. Licorice and dark, over-ripe fruit. There was no hiding the alcohol, but the booziness wasn't at all overpowering. 

Full, heavy mouthfeel. Sticky and chewy. Light carbonation. Appropriately bitter finish with roasted malt flavor and some alcohol warmth left behind at the end.

Overall, this is a solid RIS that delivers plenty of flavor and a good bang for the buck. I like it! I'm giving Motherland a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment