Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Gigantic Brewing Company - Superbad Imperial Coffee Stout

The watch, the wallet, the kangaroo
and the beer...
I'm a big fan of Pulp Fiction. I keep my watch on a Kangaroo just like Butch--what else can I say? See photo on the left. Yup, that's a genuine, 1950's McCoy dresser caddy, identical to the one featured in the classic Tarantino film. No, my wallet does NOT say Bad Mother F**ker on it--that would raise some eyebrows at the office--but otherwise, it would not be out of the question.

Gigantic Brewing Company keeps enticing me to buy their wonderful beers with pop culture references that seem directed specifically at me. What's next? A beer dedicated to the art of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth? How about a Rat Fink beer? Come on, Gigantic, I'm putting in my order right now!

Tonight, I'm drinking a bottle of Gigantic's Superbad Imperial Coffee Stout. I picked up the bomber at Hollywood Beverage for $7.50. There's a quote from Jules on the label:

"You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash it down?"

I'm thinking, "Hell, no, Jules! Get your own damn tasty beverage! This b*tch is MINE!" Bang! Bam! Pow! RAT-A-TAT-TAT!

Superbad comes with an ABV of 9%. Did you ask me what it tastes like? Say what again! I dare you! I double dare you! Say what. One. More. Time!

The beer poured into my little stout glass an opaque, pitch black color with a thick, creamy, mocha head. The head rose up to a full finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A full ring and thin, webby spots of lacing were left behind on the glass.

Aroma was roasted malt, espresso, and cocoa. Hints of licorice and dark, over-ripe fruit in the background.

Taste followed the nose. Coffee. Rich milk chocolate. A little smoky. Burnt caramel. Bitter finish that faded away, leaving that creamy mocha flavor behind. YES! This brew is superbad! Excellent! The flavors really popped as the beer warmed. Sip and savor this one. You will not be disappointed.

Medium to full mouthfeel. A bit of a chew to it. Appropriate carbonation.

Overall, this is a wonderful brew.  Fantastic. I'm giving Superbad a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4. The more I sip on this one, the more I love it. Robust and complex. I think Jules would approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment