Sunday, November 1, 2015

Gigantic Brewing Company - Slip Into Darkness

It's fhtagn good!
Not fair, not fair, Gigantic Brewing Company! You had me as soon as I saw the H.P. Lovecraft reference on your new brew, Slip Into Darkness. How could I NOT buy it? The label art presents the visage of an exceptionally hideous, other-worldly creature, and the following Lovecraft quote:


"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."


If you are not familiar with Howard Phillips (H.P.) Lovecraft, you are probably not a fan of horror fiction. Lovecraft is credited as being one of the most influential writers of that particular genre. He is the creator of the Cthulhu Mythos: a terrifying world filled with malevolent beings from another dimension; monstrous, alien, indescribable beings intent upon the destruction of all human life. His unique style combined nihilism with a sense of oppressive, cosmic doom, and brought him fame and the adoration of horror fiction aficionados around the world--although not until many years after his death. I'm a big Lovecraft fan. I've even tried my hand at writing some Lovecraft-inspired tales of my own. Click HERE, if you're at all interested in reading some of it.

Back to the beer! Slip Into Darkness is described on the label as a "hoppy Cascadian dark lager" and the ABV is reported at 6.4%. Interesting. A CDA-ish lager. I was very anxious to get this beer uncapped and into a glass. Honestly, Gigantic Brewing never disappoints me. Unique, masterful brews are produced by these folks on a regular basis. Let's see how this one checks out, shall we?

The beer poured from bomber into my skull mug (seemed appropriate) a cloudy, deep, dark brown color--almost black--with a foamy, tan head. The head rose up to a finger thick and displayed excellent retention. Thick, webby lacing was left behind.

Aroma was primarily citrus hops on the initial uptake with roasted malt bringing up the rear. 

Taste was a good dose of bitter pine and citrus hops up front. Orange. Burnt coffee and cocoa. A little smoky. Roasted malt. Toasted filberts. Delicious stuff! All kinds of flavor.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. A bit of a dry finish with hops bitterness and robust, roasted malt in a tug of war for attention at the end.

Overall, this is a damn tasty beer. I'd fight off a room full of tentacles to get my hands on another bomber of this brew. Merry the Wonder Beagle thought it smelled wonderful. She drooled up a puddle while I sipped and savored this one. I'm giving Slip Into Darkness a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.

No comments:

Post a Comment