Tuesday, October 13, 2015

No-Li Brewhouse - Brass Monkey

What? No 40?
Did you ever drink a Brass Monkey, aka the Poorman's Mimosa? No? Well, here's what you gotta do: get yourself a 40 ouncer of Olde English 800, or any other stinky-stanky, alcohol-fortified malt liquor, and mix it with orange juice. Just pout that OJ right into the 40 after chugging the swill down to label level. Oh, what a horrible cocktail. Just nasty! But after two or three of them, you won't care...about anything.

Brass Monkey, that funky Monkey 
Brass Monkey junkie 
That funky Monkey 
~Beastie Boys

I don't know why anybody would brew a craft beer that pays homage to the drink of choice of 1980's delinquents, but...hey! Why the heck not? Today, I'm giving it a try. I'm talking about No-Li Brewhouse's Brass Monkey. It's an American Strong Ale brewed with Cascade hops and orange peel. It comes with an ABV of 8.0%. Let's get funky, shall we?

The beer poured into my pint glass a deep, golden orange color with a foamy, white head. The head made it up to a finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. Thin webs of lacing were left behind as I imbibed.

Aroma was NOT the skunky stank of heinous malt liquor! I must say, that did disappoint me for a minute. Instead, there was a prominent smell of orange citrus and sweet, earthy malt. Very juicy in the initial olfactory uptake.

Taste gave a reasonable, upscale facsimile of the beer's namesake. No significant alcohol taste noted. Lots of orange citrus. Appreciable hops bitterness that I was not expecting. Tasted pretty smooth!

Medium to slightly fuller mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Smooth finish. It was a surprisingly easy drinker. Light hops bitterness balanced nicely against bready, sweet malt at the end.

Overall, this brew was a lot more than I expected. I liked it. Ha, I might drink the next one out of an empty Olde English 800 bottle, just for nostalgia. I'm given Brass Monkey a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment