Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Pyramid Brewing Company - Outburst Imperial IPA

The Price is Right?
I don't know about you, but around Casa de Wolfgang, AKA The Shotgun Shack, times are tough. The landlord just raised the rent to match the "new" and "trendy" prices here in our NE Alberta Street neighborhood. The three bedroom, ONE bathroom house down the street just sold for $560,000. Yoink! Seriously? That's the kind of money people are willing to pay for a 100 year old pile of moldy wood?  In this 'hood? That's crazy!

Heck, also don't forget that "local flavor" around here includes a double stabbing in front of Boxer Ramen last night and some serious ratcheting up of the old fashioned, gangbangin' ultraviolence! I'm just saying, this ain't no gated Orange County community, no matter how ridiculously high the rents climb.

Needless to say, the higher cost of living in this burg is putting a significant dent in my beer money budget. I'm between paychecks and that has me digging through the sofa cushions for spare change. Sad and humiliating, I know, but I came up with a buck twenty!

Today, I'm drinking an Outburst Imperial IPA from Pyramid Brewing Company. Why did I select this beer from among the vast array of tasty brews in the Fred Meyer cold case? How about a price tag of $2.49 for a bomber? You can't beat that with a stick! Well, you could, but that would make one helluva mess and probably get you thrown out of Freddie's for life. How is that inexpensive beer? I thought you'd never ask!

The beer poured into my pint glass a clear, deep, amber color with an off-white head. The head was quite prodigious, rising up to almost two fingers thick with no coaxing. The head dissipated slowly and left a good amount of webby lacing behind.

Aroma was an interesting mix of bubblegum-like tropical fruit--banana, pineapple and passion fruit--and indistinct citrus. Sweet caramel malt with notes of brown sugar.

Taste gave a significant bitter, citrus hops bite right up front. The label says this brew is dry-hopped and I believe the hops bitterness imparted there saved this brew from being overly sweet. Interesting juxtaposition between bitter hops and butterscotch sweetness. I wouldn't call it balanced. It's more like a competition on the palate. Just a hint of alcohol taste in this 8.5% beer.

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel with low carbonation. Seemed a little thick and slightly oily on the finish. Bitter hops and sweet malt flavors were both left behind at the end.

Merry the Wonder Beagle thought this beer smelled really good. It was enough to rouse her from her afternoon nap and commence to droolin'. This is not the most complex or interesting IIPA I've ever tasted, but for the PRICE, it certainly is a keeper. $2.49 for a bomber is dipping down into near homebrew value and it's certainly better than anything that I've ever bottled.

I'm giving Outburst Imperial IPA a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. Yes, indeed, some of that is based on the price. It also deserves a Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment