Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Mammoth Brewing Company - IPA 395

A beer of pachydermal proportions? 
My wife's niece is visiting from California with her two year old daughter, Sienna. It's been a while since a wee one has toddled around Casa de Wolfgang, AKA The Shotgun Shack. I really enjoy having kids around, especially when I get to do all of the fun stuff and none of that annoying "parenting" stuff. And what a sweet, thoughtful house guest we have--brought old Uncle Wolf some tasty, tasty beer from the Golden State. It's not easy to find a brew that's new to me, but she did it.

Lucky me. I'm drinking an IPA 395 from Mammoth Brewing Company. I've never tasted a beer from this brewery, so I had no idea what to expect. The label advises that this 8% ABV beer is brewed with juniper berries and sage. 50 IBU's. Interesting.

The beer poured from 12 ounce bottle to Mason jar a slightly hazy, reddish amber color with a creamy, off-white head. The head rose up to almost two fingers thick and dissipated slowly. Copious clumps of thick, webby lacing were left all over the glass.

Aroma delivered a big dose of gin-like botanicals right up front. Juniper and sage are clearly present. Pine needles. Citrus hops in there, too. Sweet, earthy malt. Herbal and floral. Lots of things were happening in the nose with this brew. Nice.

Taste followed the nose. Sweet caramel malt was immediately tempered by sage and juniper flavors. I was pleasantly surprised. Nothing dramatically woodsy. The gin-like taste was subtle. Not at all boozy. Nice level of hops bitterness left behind on the palate on the finish. I like!

Medium mouthfeel with appropriately moderate carbonation. Semi-dry finish. I didn't detect any alcohol taste.

Overall, this is very unique IIPA that delivered a different flavor profile without going too weird to be drinkable. Everything seemed to blend together quite nicely. Good stuff and I would definitely drink it again. I'm giving IPA 395 a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment