Monday, September 28, 2015

Gilgamesh Brewing - Fresh Prince Fresh Hop IPA 2015

Fresh Prince...or Carlton?
Let me tell you what, Homer, it's stacking up to be one awesome fresh hop beer season here in Oregon. I'm in hop heaven and I haven't even gotten started yet! So many, many tasty beers. What an exhausting hobby I've chosen, huh? Hey, it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it!

Today, I'm drinking a Fresh Prince Fresh Hop IPA from Gilgamesh Brewing, located in Salem, the Capital of the fine State of Oregon. I've never paid their brewery a visit. I'm thinking I need to plan a little road trip soon.

The label advises that Fresh Prince was brewed with fresh Centennial hops and comes with an ABV of 6.3%. It says something about the beer being hop-bonged. I had to google that. What I found is that hop-bonging is the same thing as randalizing, which is a hop infusing technique pioneered by Dogfish Head Craft Brewery. The piece of equipment used is also known as an organoleptic hop transducer module... say that three times real fast. I would love to learn more about the specific process used by Gilgamesh. It sounds fascinating! But how is the beer? Let's find out.

Fresh Prince poured into my pint glass a hazy, golden orange color with a spectacular, bright white head. That head rose up to a full finger thick with no coaxing. It was creamy, clumpy and dissipated slowly. Copious amounts of thick, webby lacing were left behind all over the glass.

Aroma was a massive blast of citrus hops and pine. Sweet caramel malt. Floral. Herbal. Hints tropical fruit. Pineapple and guava. The smell wafting from this brew perked up the nose of the Wonder Beagle ASAP. Dang, that dog has a nose for hops--and she's particular, too.

Taste followed the nose. Big, bitter, citrus hops right up front. Grapefruit and orange peel. Slightly dank. Appreciable pine. Spicy, herbal, mild grassy notes of fresh hops. Nice!

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. No appreciable alcohol taste, but there's a mild hotness on the finish from the spicy, herbal hops. That bitter hops flavor was left behind on the palate for a while. This is one of those beers that has a wonderful aftertaste that keeps on giving after each sip. Fantastic!

Overall, this is one of the 2015 fresh hop beers that you must taste. Get over to your local bottle shop and pick up a bomber right now! I bought mine at Hollywood Beverage on NE Sandy. I'm giving Fresh Prince Fresh Hop IPA a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment