Wednesday, September 23, 2015

BridgePort Brewing - Hop Harvest Fresh Hop IPA 2015

My Precious...Freshest...
Okay, I'm officially out of witty, topical captions for my beer photos. Seriously--cue The Steve Miller Band--it just keeps gettin' tougher every day... Oh, that's really terrible. Sorry, writer's block...but it's not like anybody's paying me to do this. What the heck was I going to write about? OH, YEAH! Fresh hop beer!

It is the season! Hops have been harvested and brewers all over the Pacific Northwest have been as busy as beavers getting those delicious cones into their beers. The Hood River Fresh Hop Festival is happening THIS Saturday, 9/26/15 from noon to 8PM. You know where you'll find ME this weekend! In the meantime, there's an abundance of freshies available in local taprooms and a few making it into cold cases. Awesome!

Today, I found a bomber of BridgePort Brewing's Hop Harvest Fresh Hop IPA in the cold case at Freddie's. Bam! That sucker went straight into my cart. The fumble fingered clerk almost lost it for me at the checkout. I swear, I would have cried. Gratefully, the bottle made it into the grocery bag and into my fridge. It was a close call.

This fresh hop IPA was brewed with a truckload of fresh, green Crystal hops. It comes with an ABV of 7% and 60 IBU's. How did it taste? I thought you'd never ask!

The beer poured into my pint glass a clear, golden orange color with a creamy, white head. The head was more than a finger thick and dissipated slowly. Thick, creamy clumps of lacing were left behind.

Aroma was citrus hops up front. Orange, grapefruit and tangerine. Spicy, grassy, herbal notes. Sweet caramel malt. Some tropical fruit in there, too. Pineapple. What a great smelling beer. The fresh hops were abundantly noticeably as soon as I popped the cap. Nice!

Taste followed the nose. Wow! Good job, BridgePort! Clean, distinct, spicy, bitter hops. Beautifully subtle and complex at the same time.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Clean finish with that fresh hop flavor left lovingly on the palate at the end. No alcohol taste detected.

Overall, this a wonderful fresh hop IPA. Not too grassy or woodsy, but you can definitely tell there are fresh, green hops in this brew. I like it! I'm giving Hop Harvest IPA 2015 a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment