Monday, August 10, 2015

StormBreaker Brewing - Right as Rain Pale Ale

Rain in Portland? Pfffft!
What a summer we're having in Stumptown, eh? Record breaking heat. No real rain for days at a time. My yard drying up like the Sahara. I would have never imagined NOT having my rain barrel at full capacity. Facing gray-sky, dreary, soggy weather is a deeply ingrained, genetically constitutional character trait for us Portlanders. Honestly, if all this sunshiny-ness doesn't stop soon, I might just lapse into an insurmountable binge of giddy happiness. Now, that's something you wouldn't want to witness. **shudder**

I discovered a bomber of StormBreaker Brewing's Right as Rain Pale Ale in some local market's cold case the other day. (Man, I really need to keep better track of where I buy my beer and how much I pay for it. Sorry.) The awesome label art made me positively nostalgic for the good ol' days in Portland...you know, when it actually rained.

Right as Rain comes with an ABV of 5.6% and IBU's at 36. StormBreaker's website offers the following description:

We set out to make our Pale a Pale, and not a baby IPA. It’s crisp and easy drinking with mild herbal, floral, and citrus notes. First wort hopped with US Goldings, Centennial, and Summer, which lends a smoother, less harsh bitterness for a clean finish that is indeed Right as Rain.

Did the brewers at StormBreaker fulfill their mission? Let's find out...

The beer poured from bomber to pint glass a clear, golden orange color with a bright, white head. The head rose up to more than a finger thick and dissipated quickly. A ring of residual lacing was left behind.

Aroma was mild citrus and biscuity malt. Floral and fruity notes. Pineapple and stone fruit.

Taste followed the nose. Sweet, earthy, caramel malt, balanced out by just enough hops bitterness. Indistinct citrus. Mild tropical fruit. Some herbal spiciness in there. Definitely, this brew doesn't cross over into IPA territory like so many other pales produced nowadays. I would say Right as Rain successfully maintains the style profile of a true pale ale.

Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Semi-dry finish with pleasant hops bitterness and malt flavors left behind on the palate in appropriate proportion. Good work, StormBreaker!

Overall, this is about as good an example of a true American Pale Ale that you'll find in PDX. I like it and will drink it again. I'm giving Right as Rain a solid BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


1 comment: