Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Old Town Brewing Company - Shanghai'd IPA

A tunnel of love?
I picked up a bomber of Old Town Brewing's flagship IPA at Hollywood Beverage the other day. I've had this brew from the tap at Old Town's pizza joint/brewery on MLK several times. (Pizza is excellent, the beer is fresh and they have a really awesome fire place at the MLK location, FYI.) This is my first time drinking this brew from a bottle because, as I understand it, they just started bottling it last month.

First off, I'm a nut about the Shanghai Tunnels. If you're interested, you can read a piece of fiction I wrote about the tunnels HERE. But the tunnels and the nefarious activities that went on underground in Portland 100 years ago are not fiction. An entrance to the tunnels is reportedly found in the basement of the old building that houses Old Town's downtown pizza restaurant. The place is haunted. How spooky is that?

What's definitely NOT spooky is Old Town's Shanghai'd IPA. It's a damn good representation of the classic NW IPA. It comes with a 6.5% ABV and IBU's at 65. I believe I paid $3.99 for the 22 oz. bomber. Nice looking graphics on the bottle.

The beer poured into my pint glass a slightly hazy, orange-amber color with a white, creamy head. The head rose up to almost two fingers tall and dissipated slowly. Copious amounts of suds were left behind,

Aroma was citrus and resinous pine. There's got to be a good amount of Cascade Hops used in this brew. That's my favorite. Nice caramel malt aroma in the background. A respectable bitter bite mixed in with some spicy, floral notes.

Taste followed the nose. Grapefruit, orange and pine. Great malt backbone to this one. Very good hops/malt balance.

Medium mouthfeel and good carbonation. Semi-dry finish with the hops bitterness lingering on the palate at the end.

Overall, this is an easy drinker with just enough hops assertiveness to get it noticed and appreciated by real hopheads. I really like Shanghai'd IPA and now that it's in bottles, it will make it's way into my fridge from time to time. Good stuff! I'm giving Shanghai'd IPA a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment