Saturday, August 8, 2015

Laurelwood Brewing Company - Pale Pony American Pale Ale

Giddy-up...into mah bellah!
When I was a little kid, I wanted more than anything in the world to be a cowboy. You would usually find me with a cap pistol strapped to my six year old hip, a western hat perched on my head and the most awesome pair of red cowboy boots permanently attached to my feet. Unfortunately, I didn't have a horse. Seriously, you can't be much of a cowboy without a horse, and I often dreamed about having my own Palomino just like Roy Rogers' horse Trigger...or even a talking one like Mr. Ed.

I never did get that horse, but when I spotted a bottle of Laurelwood Brewing Company's Pale Pony American Pale Ale in the cold case at New Seasons today, the label certainly caught my attention. The bomber of Pale Pony was decorated with the visage of it's namesake in full gallop. The $3.99 price made it completely irresistible!

Laurelwood's website describes Pale Pony as "essentially a smaller version of our Workhorse IPA." That's a tall order, right there, as Workhorse is one of my most favorite IPA's EVER. Pale Pony comes with an ABV of 5.2%, which is certainly smaller than Workhorse's 7.5%. Let's see how it stacks up in the taste test, shall we?

The beer poured from bomber to pint glass a clear, orange/copper color with a bright, white head. The head was foamy and prodigious, rising up to more than an inch tall with no coaxing. The head dissipated at a moderate rate and left webby suds behind.

Aroma was big on tropical fruit up front: passion fruit, pineapple and guava. Indistinct citrus and floral notes. A touch of pine. Sweet caramel malt.

Taste followed the nose. Tropical fruit juicy but with plenty of hops bitterness to even it out. No alcohol taste to this reasonably sessionable brew. 

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. A little thin on the finish. Still, there's plenty of flavor to keep on appreciating Pale Pony with every sip.

Overall, this is a very easy drinker and definitely fulfills its intended purpose as a sessionable BBQ brew. It should really come in a sixer of 12 oz. cans. It would be welcome in my cooler, absolutely. I'm giving Pale Pony a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment