Sunday, July 12, 2015

pFriem Family Brewers - Tripel

Abbey normal?
Honestly, I never know what to do with photo captions. Unless I'm giving credit to another photographer, which is rare, I typically draw a blank. See the caption for the photo on the left? Yeah, that's all I got, and I'm lucky that lameness finally popped into my head. It's a Young Frankenstein reference, get it? And Belgian beers are typically brewed in Abbeys...oh, never mind, it's horrible. Sorry.

What I am NOT sorry about is my recent purchase of a bottle of pFriem Family Brewers' Tripel. It is fantastic! pFriem is located in beautiful Hood River, OR. Their brewery has earned an amazing reputation in a very short time. The recently opened tap room is a destination for visitors to Portland, even though it's an hour drive to Hood River from downtown Stumptown. They do good brew.

Tripel poured into my St. Bernardus chalice a clear golden orange color with a bright, white head. The head rose up to about a 1/4 of an inch and dissipated quickly. A spotty cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was quintessential Belgian-style: notes of cloves, bready malt and yeast. Herbal, floral. A little fruity. A little funky.

Taste delivered what the nose foretold: Cloves, pear and stone fruit. Hops spiciness was a pleasant surprise. No detectable alcohol taste in this 9.5% ABV beer. Delicious!

Medium to slightly fuller mouthfeel. Good Carbonation. Lush finish. Subdued fruit flavors with that bready malt and yeastiness left lightly behind on the palate at the end,

Overall, this is a damn good, reasonable facsimile of a Belgian Tripel. It comes with a Pacific Northwest twist that my taste buds really enjoyed. Good stuff! I'm giving pFriem Tripel a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment