Sunday, June 14, 2015

Reverend Nat's Hard Cider - Sarah Eats the Peach and Whiskey Sour

The apple's deepest purpose?
I'm a seasonal drinker, and obviously my drink of choice is usually beer. In the winter months, I gravitate toward porters, stouts, barleywines, high ABV winter warmers, and big, bold, barrel-aged beers. You know, comfort brews. However, with the warmer summer weather, I typically shun those thick, viscous tonsil-coaters and direct my attention to lighter, livelier libations. (Do I have my alliteration jammin' today, or what?) 

Lately, I've been seeking out some of the top notch hard ciders that are brewed here in the state of Oregon. That's a fairly easy task. In fact, some of the very best are brewed here in my NE side of Portland. I'm talking about Reverend Nat's Hard Cider. The cidery and taproom are located at 1813 NE 2nd Avenue, which is actually dangerously close to my office. Heck, I could walk there!

Reverend Nat is a real person, by the way, and a real reverend, too. He is also a cider wunderkind, a master craftsman with a cider press, a genius working with all things that have a core. Let's just say that the man makes some amazing ciders!

The taproom was opened in June of 2013 and Nat and crew will be celebrating their second anniversary on June 27 with a special party. Check out the details HERE. In fact, you should check out ALL of the events Rev, Nat has planned this month, in connection to Oregon Cider Week from June 18 through June 28. There are A LOT of fun events! Just peruse his Facebook page.

I highly recommend a trip to the taproom, where you will find 12 delicious ciders on tap. I also highly recommend getting there soon to try my two new favorites that surely will be sold out faster than an apple falls. (Obscure, Newton reference that no one will think is funny but me. Sorry.)

The Whiskey Sour cider tastes exactly like the cocktail. Wow! Fantastic stuff! How did he do that? Sarah Eats the Peach has the most pure, clean peach flavor I've ever had in any peachy beverage. What I like the most is that these ciders don't come off as "flavored". Know what I mean? There's a complexity and marvelous subtlety to the stuff that elevates far beyond what most people think when they hear the word "cider".

Also, if you want something to eat while you're in the area, there's a Pine State Biscuits right next door to the taproom, and unlike the one in my neighborhood, there's never been a line around the block when I've been by. Just a tip.

I give both Whiskey Sour and Sarah Eats the Peach a perfect BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


2 comments:

  1. Thx Wolf for the kind words. Crush them cans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep making that delicious cider, Rev! I'm coming to get some of that spicy stuff on Wednesday!

      Delete