Monday, June 8, 2015

Hopworks Urban Brewery - HUB Hard Cider

Go hard or go home.
Benjamin Franklin, famed American diplomat, patriot and kite-flyer extraordinaire, has been credited (probably incorrectly) with this famous quote: "An apple a day keeps the doctor away."

Franklin also once said, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Given his obvious affinity for both beer and apples, I have to wonder what Old Ben thought about apple cider. I couldn't find a Franklin quote about cider, specifically, but I bet he put down a few tankards of the hard stuff in his day. Apple cider has been produced in America since the earliest colonial settlers set foot on Plymouth Rock--and probably earlier. Then there was some weird business with Johnny Appleseed that started a whole apple growing boom in the early 19th Century. Dude loved himself some apples! 

Cider making has had a real renaissance here in the Pacific Northwest in recent years. It's only natural, I suppose. We grow a lot of apples up this way, and producing fine, craft, potent potables is kind of what we do for fun and profit. Thus, it's not really surprising that Portland's preeminent organic craft brewer, Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB), has taken up cider making.

I purchased a can of their debut HUB Hard Cider on Saturday at New Seasons. The pounder was less than three bucks. I'm glad I could pick one up as a single. That's always helpful when your hobby is writing beer (and cider) reviews. How was it, you ask? Get to the reviewing, you say? Very well!

I poured into the cider into a pilsner glass. (I have no clue about appropriate glassware for cider. Somebody needs to get on that.) It was a clear, bright, straw yellow color with lively carbonation.

Aroma was full and fruity. Crisp, clean apple and light yeast in the background.

Taste was all apple. A little bit tart. No hint of the 6.8% ABV. Semi-dry finish. Delicious!

Overall, this is a very nice cider that lives up to Hopworks reputation for quality and taste. It's an easy drinker. Not particularly complex, but it would be a big hit in anyone's BBQ cooler this summer. I liked it and would certainly drink it again. I'm giving HUB Hard Cider a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to pick some of this up.

    ReplyDelete