Monday, June 1, 2015

Hop Valley Brewing Company - Proxima IPA

Star or superstar?
Hop Valley Brewing Company is hosting the Sasquatch Brew Fest next weekend. The event will take place on Saturday, June 6th, in the Hop Valley Brewery parking lot at 990 W 1st Avenue, in beautiful Eugene, Oregon.

If you've never been to Eugene, I recommend a visit, and this brew fest would make a perfect excuse. Home of the University of Oregon Ducks, Eugene is a college town's college town. It's a fun, funky, laid-back little burg. Lots of hippies. Plenty of craft beer. I'm not so sure about the sasquatches...sasquatchi?

Sasquatch Brew Fest sounds like a fun party and I'm betting a few beers from Hop Valley Brewing will be in the line-up. I like Hop Valley's brews. They make some top notch IPA's, and I found one hiding on the singles shelf at my local Whole Foods today. I picked up the 12 ouncer for $1.99. DEAL!

The beer poured into my IPA glass a slightly hazy, golden orange color with a foamy, white head. The head rose up to a half inch tall and dissipated at a moderate rate. A thin, full cap and spotty webs of lacing were left behind on the glass.

Smell was big and hoppy. Citrus and a bit of pine. Grapefruit and orange. Hints of tropical fruit.

Taste followed the nose. Grapefruit, orange, pine. Notes of pineapple and mango.  Light, sweet malt in the background.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. A bit of a thin finish, but the juicy, bitter hops flavors came rolling back across my taste buds at the end. No hint of alcohol in this 6.2% ABV beer.

Overall, Proxima IPA is an easy drinker with a lot of flavor. I could drink a pitcher of this beer without any regrets. Good stuff. I'm giving Proxima a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment