Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Breakside Brewery - Breakside IPA

You deserve a Breakside today...
"So, Captain Ridiculous, why haven't you ever posted a review of Breakside Brewery's Breakside IPA?" That's what I said to myself this afternoon when I was eating a delicious gyro from Cedos and washing it down with an even more delicious pint of the aforementioned beer.

"I don't know, Uber-Critical Me," I responded. "I really don't know."

"Jackass!"

Ugh, Uber-Critical Me can be such a jerk, but he was right this time. Four hundred and thirty sumthin' beer reviews and I've never written a word about one of my all-time favorites. That's like forgetting to toast your best man at your bachelor party. That's like...forgetting to tip the waiter who just saved you from a heinous choking death with a perfectly executed Heimlich Maneuver.  That's like... ... ...errrr, I got nothin', but it's a totally chump move!

Breakside IPA is an award winner. It picked up a gold medal at the 2014 Great American Beer Festival, so it seems some other folks like it, too. In my own defense, Breakside Brewery puts out an unbelievable number of unique, awesome and amazing seasonal brews every year. Every time I go into their pub, I'm going, "Ooooo! I wanna try that! Ooooo, WAIT! I wanna try THAT!" They make it easy to take their flagship IPA for granted.

Today, Breakside IPA was delivered to my table in a shaker pint. It had a slightly hazy, golden amber color with a creamy, white head. The head had some staying power and left thick, webby lacing behind all over the glass.

Aroma was citrus and resinous pine hops up front. Juicy tropical fruit following. Grapefruit, orange, pineapple, mango. Floral and stone fruit notes in the background. These lovely smells required no coaxing. As soon as my nose came close to the glass, there they were. Ahhhhh.

Taste followed the nose. Respectably bitter hops asserted themselves. Just a tiny hint of dankness lurking about. Solid malt flavor didn't get lost among all that fruity goodness. Perfect balance. No hint of alcohol.

Medium mouthfeel with appropriate carbonation. Surprisingly easy to drink. Clean finish. Hops bitterness and subtle toasty malt flavor left behind on the palate.

Who am I to argue with professional beer judges and my own taste buds? I'm giving Breakside IPA a perfect BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4. I'm also awarding a Droolie. Merry the Wonder Beagle didn't get a sniff of the beer I was drinking today, but I've seen her drool up a puddle for this brew many a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment