Friday, June 12, 2015

Breakside Brewery - Back to the Future IPA

Too McFly for a Beer Guy?
In the 1989 blockbuster Back to the Future II, Marty McFly and Doc Brown traveled in Doc's DeLorean time machine from October 26, 1985 to October 21, 2015 to help Marty's future children deal with Biff or Griff or somebody. All I really remember about the movie is that the complicated "butterfly effect" shifts they created in past, present and future history gave me a headache--AND THEY HAD HOVERBOARDS IN 2015!

I really wanted a hoverboard, and ever since 1989, I've been waiting patiently for mine! Where's my hoverboard, McFly? Hey, I guess this is only JUNE, 2015. I suppose somebody could invent a hoverboard by October...it's not going to happen, is it? DANG IT, McFLY!!!

Well, at least Breakside Brewery collaborated with Seattle's Fremont Brewing to invent a darn delicious IPA named Back to the Future. I got  the opportunity to knock back a pint of Breakside's version tonight at their Dekum pub.

The beer was brewed with new, "futuristic" hop varieties: Azacca and Ella in the Breakside version. This is the second beer I've tasted that was brewed with Ella Hops and I am digging them! Oh, yeah, it's the good stuff!

Back to the Future was presented to me in a full-sized pint glass. (I like getting a full pint. Just one of the things I love, love, love about drinking beer at Breakside.) It was a slightly hazy, golden orange color, with a white, fluffy, clumpy head. Excellent head retention with thick, webby lacing coating the glass throughout the drink.

Aroma was loaded with tropical fruit. Pineapple, guava, passion. Citrus scents of orange and tangerine. A bit of Grapefruit. Light, sweet malt. Floral notes with hints of peppery spice.

Taste followed the nose. Juicy! Wow, what a tasty beer! All the tropical fruit and citrus flavors I just mentioned, with an appreciable, respectable hops bitterness to remind you that you're still drinking an IPA. No alcohol taste detected. I believe the ABV is at 7%.

Medium mouthfeel with a bit of body to it. Good carbonation. Clean finish with the tropical fruit and hops bitterness lingering on the palate at the end.

Yeah, this is a nice IPA. Breakside Brewery sure puts out some great beer, and this is one of them. I hope they put this seasonal into their regular line-up. I'd buy it all the time. I'm giving Back to the Future a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4. It almost makes up for the hoverboard. Almost.


No comments:

Post a Comment