Monday, May 4, 2015

Narragansett Brewing Company - Lovecraft Honey Ale

It's fhtagn good!
The first thing you must know on this fun-lovin', beer reviewin' evening is that I'm a huge fan of H.P. Lovecraft. In fact, my own horror stories are greatly influenced by Lovecraft and his literary peers and predecessors. Yes, indeed, I loves me some Lovecraft! If you're at all interested in reading some of my fiction, here's a little SAMPLE. It's gruesome stuff. Don't say I didn't warn you. 

Imagine my delight when I ran across a craft beer that is named after the Father of Modern Horror, the creator of the Cthulhu Mythos, Providence, Rhode Island's own: Howard Phillips Lovecraft. The beer was sitting in the cold case at Hollywood Liquor, with H.P's somber face staring blanking at me. I had to buy it! Seriously, I was compelled by some unseen, evil force to buy it... How's the beer, you ask? Gruesome stuff, too? Let's find out!

The beer poured from the 16 ounce can into my shaker pint a deep amber color with a creamy, off-white head. The head rose up to more than a finger thick and dissipated slowly. Copious amounts of sudsy lace was left behind.

Aroma was sweet honey and bready malt. Floral and mild herbal notes. Caramel. Did I mention that it was very sweet smelling?

Taste was just about as sweet as the smell. Hey, it's a honey ale and it lives up to that description. Loads of honey flavor. Big, earthy, bready malt. Some mildly bitter, grassy hops came in at the end to give a bit of balance to the overall sweetness.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Creamy finish. No hint of alcohol. 

Overall, this one is just a tad too cloying for me. Not really my style of brew, unfortunately. Somebody needs to make a Lovecraft inspired IPA. Still, it's a decent beer. I finished it, so that says something. I'm giving Lovecraft Honey Ale a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"


2 comments:

  1. Where did you find it in pdx? I've been looking all over. I'm originally from RI and would love to get some for my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it at Hollywood Beverage on NE Sandy. I have also seen Narranganett beers at Belmont Station.

    ReplyDelete