Thursday, May 21, 2015

Migration Brewing Company - River Guide Rye IPA

Got a ticket to rye'd...
I had to take my wife's car to Les Schwab to get a slow leak in the right front tire fixed. Just so you know, I don't have a car of my own. We are a single vehicle household, so when the tire guy told me it would be at least an hour and a half before they could get the Family Truckster into a bay, I had to quickly come up with a plan to fill the time. Sitting around in the waiting area with all the other schlubs for two hours, breathing in all that new tire smell? Not this guy!

Luckily, I live in Portland, Oregon, the best damn beer town in the entire world. All I had to do was DECIDE which brewpub to hike to--and I had a number of awesome choices, all within easy walking distance or a short bus ride. I opted for Migration Brewing, which was 0.3 miles away. Seriously, with about 60 breweries in Portland proper, I can plan all of my chores around whatever tasty craft beers I want to drink. Ah, what a life.

I walked over to Migration and called up my buddy Brian along the way. When I arrived, I opened a tab and ordered myself a River Guide Rye IPA. The menu board advised that the beer comes with a 6% ABV and 58 IBU's. The beertender presented me with a perfect pour.

The beer was served in a shaker pint with a cold-hazed, coppery orange color and a white, foamy head. The head retention was impressive. Creamy clumps of thick lacing were left behind and stayed around for the entire drink.

Aroma was indistinct citrus hops and some bready, yeasty malt in the background. I didn't pick up a lot with my nose on the initial uptake.

Taste delivered much bang for the buck. Bitter hops tang with the flavors of grapefruit rind and orange. Spicy rye malt taste was present and accounted for--nice! Pleasant herbal notes in the mix, too.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Semi-dry finish. Hops bitterness and spicy rye left on the palate at the end. This beer tasted--fresh. Each fresh flavor was distinct and nuanced but balanced against each other quite nicely.

Overall, this is a fantastic rye IPA. The spicy kick of rye is probably not for everybody. I really love it, though--in beer and whiskey. River Guide Rye IPA suited my tastebuds. I liked it so much, I went back for another pint. I'm giving this one a very respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment