Sunday, March 22, 2015

Hopworks Urban Brewery - Rise Up Red India Red Ale

Better red than dead?
One of the reasons I love living in the Pacific Northwest is that most of the citizenry around these parts actually gives a dang about the environment in which we live. Lots of folks truly walk the walk when it comes to supporting sustainability. Take Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB), for example. HUB is a Certified B Corporation. What does that mean? Check it out HERE.

I don't know about you, but I feel good about buying my beer from a brewery that is as green-minded as me. Yeah, that's important, and I'll spent a little extra money on products made by a company that is trying to leave a smaller footprint on this little blue planet we all call home. It also helps when those products are organic and flippin' excellent. HUB makes some mighty fine beers, and I'm drinking one of them today: Rise Up Red India Red Ale.

The beer poured from pounder into my glass a clear, red/amber color with a foamy, tan head. The head rose up to almost two fingers thick and dissipated slowly. Chunks and clumps of creamy foam were left behind all over the glass and in my mustache.

Aroma was citrus and floral hops up front with sweet, bready, earthy malt in the background. Nice. 

Taste was mild citrus hops, orange and lemon, with some mild pine notes. Sweet, robust, caramel malt. Excellent balance. Hint of toffee. Some mild, spicy, herbal notes.

Medium mouthfeel with no hint of alcohol in this 6.1% ABV brew. Good carbonation. Smooth, slightly creamy finish. Lingering hops flavor at the end.

Overall, this is a smooth, easy drinking IRA. It provides some substantial malty goodness and a respectable NW hops flavor that I really love. I could drink this stuff all day. I also love that you can get it in cans. I'm giving Rise Up Red a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment