Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Breakside Brewery - New World Bruin Flanders-Inspired Sour Ale

Rockin' in the New World
This wacky beer hobby of mine takes me all over the place, searching for the latest, the greatest, the unique, the rare. Sometimes that leads me to forget that some the the most awesome beers on the planet are being brewed within a few city blocks of my own front yard.

Breakside Brewery's Dekum Pub in NE Portland is so close to home that I could walk there in less than an hour. The brew pub puts out some of the BEST pub grub you could ever hope to eat. Their burger is fantastic and the Smokey Cubano...MAN! What a sandwich! Of course, the beer is what brings me in, over and over again.

Breakside makes one of the best IPA's in Portland and their regular tap suspects are solid, but they show masterful creativity on a regular basis, too. Today, I'm drinking Breakside's Limited Edition, New World Bruin Flanders-Inspired Sour Ale. This beer is a blend of young sour beer with more sour, oakier, aged sours. The label did not provide an ABV. I believe I paid $8.99 for the bomber.

The beer poured into my glass a reddish, amber, light brown color with a fluffy, tan head. The head made it up to just over a finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A minimal amount of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was over-ripe, dark fruit. Cherries, figs, raisins. Sweet malt. Just a tiny bit of yeasty funk.

Taste was tart cherries. Moderate lactic sourness. Hints of oak and vanilla. Earthy malt flavor in the background.

Medium mouthfeel with appropriate carbonation. Somewhat of a creamy finish. As the mild sour waned, the earthy malt was left prominently behind on the palate at the end. Nice!

Overall, there's less of a vinous quality to this beer than some other examples of the style, and for me, that's a good thing. The drinkability factor is very high. I really like this beer A LOT and would drink it anywhere, anytime. Excellent stuff. I'm giving New World Bruin a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment