Sunday, March 15, 2015

Backwoods Brewing Company - Logyard IPA

He's a lumberjack and he's okay...
Folks here in the Pacific Northwest take beer very seriously. When a brewery in this part of the country claims their beer is brewed with pristine, crystal clear water, it's the truth. When they name their brewery, "Backwoods Brewing Company", you can bet it's not just some kind of advertising gimmick--that brewery is actually located right on the cusp of a real, honest to goodness, Bunyan-esque forest. Yup, the great outdoors and great tasting beer go hand in hand in this neck of the woods. And I'm talking the literal woods, not the figurative woods.

Today, I'm reviewing Backwoods Brewing Company's Logyard IPA. Backwoods is located just a few miles from my home base in Portland, Oregon, across the border in Carson, Washington. Carson is situated on the Washington side of the spectacular Columbia River Gorge, right at the entrance to the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. In addition to being one of the most beautiful scenic spots on the entire planet, the Columbia River Gorge is also home to a wonderful array of magnificent craft breweries. CLICK HERE for a Gorge Beer Guide.

Logyard IPA comes with an ABV of 6.7% and 78 IBU's. It is reportedly brewed with four different NW hops. I picked up the bomber for a reasonable price, but I honestly don't remember where I bought it. I've been buying a lot of beer with my tax refund money lately--hey, it's an investment...in my waistline.

The beer poured into my pint glass a hazy, orange amber color with a creamy, white head. The head rose up to more than a finger thick and dissipated slowly. Clumps of webby lacing were left all over the glass. There was also a noticeable amount of sediment floating around in there. I homebrew, so that doesn't bother me. Yeasty bits are a natural part of the brewing process.

Aroma was resinous pine and citrus hops. Tropical fruit in the background. Pineapple and guava notes.

Taste followed the nose. Grapefruit-y citrus. Lemon. Pineapple. Respectable hops bitterness that you'd expect from a well-crafted NW IPA. Light caramel malt provided a good balance against the hops. Herbal spiciness in the mix, too. Nice!

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. A bit of a sticky body on the finish. Hops and malt appropriately left playing off each other on the palate at the end.

Overall, this is a very good IPA. I certainly wouldn't turn one down if you offered me one--go ahead and offer me one, you'll see! I'm giving Logyard IPA a very respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment