Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Walking Man Brewing Company - Homo Erectus Imperial IPA

Upright is alright...
Man, I have a lot of beer reviews backed up in the queue right now. Many, many, MAAAANY great beers stacked up in my fridge right now, too. Hey! I got my Oregon state tax refund last week, so you KNOW I'm spending a good chunk of it on beer! I'm actually running out of room in the fridge, to tell you the truth. It won't be long until my wife asks me to make space for pickles or kumquats or something. I guess I better get to drinkin'!

Tonight's brew review is all about Walking Man Brewing Company's Homo Erectus Imperial IPA. I picked up the bomber at Belmont Station, a pretty decent bottle shop and taproom here in Portland. They give a decent little discount if you pay with cash, by the way, just like my plumber. Homo Erectus comes with an ABV of 9%. I don't remember how much the bomber cost me--I was buying a box full of Tax Refund Beer, remember?

The beer poured into my glass a hazy, deep amber color with a creamy, clumpy, white head. The head rose up more than two fingers thick and dissipated slowly. Chunks and clumps of foamy lacing was left behind.

Aroma was pine and indistinct citrus hops up front. Bready, biscuity malt. Just a hint of tropical and stone fruit.

Taste provided a good bitter punch of citrus and pine ASAP. Not too crazy, though. Orange and grapefruit. Hints of tropical fruit. Sweet malt balanced well against the initial hops bitterness. No hint of alcohol.

Medium mouthfeel with appropriate carbonation. Surprisingly easy to drink, considering the 9% ABV. Slightly creamy finish with the bitter hops and sweet, earthy malt left behind on the palate, vying for attention.

Overall, this is a very respectable IIPA, and it could easily turn you into a "crawling man" with that high-end ABV and quaff-ability factor. Be careful! I'm giving Homo Erectus a very respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie. Merry the Wonder Beagle thought it smelled, well, wonderful!


No comments:

Post a Comment