Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Laurelwood Brewing Company - Coniferous Pale Ale

Beer Guy tested, gnome approved.
Every once in a while, someone will ask me where I get all the cool "props" in my beer photos. The truth is perfectly Portland: those aren't props. Nope. Every kitschy thing you see in my weird lil' beer photos are objects that are just sitting around my house. Yup, we are livin' la vida loca at Casa de Wolfgang. 

The photo in this post was taken in my front yard. I just poured the beer, set it down in our fairy garden (Doesn't everyone have one of those?) and snapped the picture with my phone. I had to pick it back up quickly, lest a pesky gnome or enchanted squirrel snatch the brewski away. 

It seemed appropriate to capture the subject of tonight's beer review amid the pine cones and needles: Laurelwood Brewing Company's Coniferous Pale Ale. I purchased the bomber at Fred Meyer for $4.99. The bottle declares that it comes with an ABV of 5.8% and 55 IBU's. It is described as a seasonal winter pale ale. Let's see how it stacks up.

The beer poured into my glass a deep orange amber color with an off-white head. The head rose up to almost two fingers thick and dissipated slowly. Copious amounts of sudsy lacing were left behind all over the glass. What a lovely beer on the initial pour. It wasn't difficult to get a nice photo of the stuff.

Aroma was a healthy dose of pine and citrus with tropical fruit and sweet malt in the background. Floral notes and a hint of honey.

Taste gave a nice hop-forward tang right up front. Orange and lemon citrus. Pine and light, indistinct tropical fruit. Sweet, earthy malt immediately chimed in to provide a terrific balance against the hops bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. A bit of a dry finish left those hops and malt flavors shining on my palate for some pronounced appreciation by my taste buds. Not a hint of alcohol. Nice!

To me, this is a darn-near perfect pale ale. I'm digging it and the aroma sent poor Merry the Wonder Beagle into an euphoric fit of reverse sneezing. (It's a Beagle thing--google it.) I'm giving Coniferous Pale Ale a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4, and a Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment