Thursday, January 22, 2015

Ninkasi Brewing Company - The Devil Went Down To Oregon

Runnin' with the devil...
Every once in a while, I try a new (to me) beer that just really knocks my socks off. Here's one of them: Ninkasi Brewing Company's The Devil Went Down To Oregon, Imperial Dark Rye Ale. Damn! It's a great beer!

I love rye whiskey and I love rye beer...I was going to try to come up with some kind of fancy rhyme here, but I got nothin'. The Devil WDTO comes with a respectable ABV of 7.2%. 72 IBU. I paid $5.99 for the 22 oz. bomber. Not a bad price for a superior beer.

The beer poured into my snifter a dark, reddish brown color with a tan head. The head rose up to a finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A thin cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was bready, biscuity malt up front with some over-ripe fruit. Reminded me a bit of banana bread. Chocolate, cherries, toffee, caramel. Lots of stuff going on in the nose.

Taste followed the nose to a large extent, but there was also a distinctive, spicy, peppery rye flavor punctuating every sip. Not at all sweet, as the aroma might foretell. Some citrus lurking in the background. Nice!

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Some alcohol warmth on the finish. Spicy rye, malt and mild hops bitterness left behind on the palate at the end. I like it!

Overall, this brew is awesome! It's complex and straight forward at the same time. Lots of different flavor shifts but the end result showcases the rye beautifully. I got myself a shot of George Dickel Rye to chase it with. Perfect! I'm giving The Devil Went Down To Oregon a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4. I need to pick up a case.


No comments:

Post a Comment