Monday, January 19, 2015

Cerveceria Mexicana - DOA IPA Hop On Or Die

A Mexican IPA?
I was wandering around in a little out of the way Middle Eastern deli the other day and--of course--found myself in front of the cold case. (I'm drawn to beer displays like a mouse to cheese, or a moose to...what the hell are moose drawn to? Never mind.) The beers were all your usual local suspects, except one that I'd never heard of before: DOA IPA (Hop On Or Die) brewed by Cerveceria Mexicana in Tecate, Mexico. Hmmm, a Mexican IPA? I had to buy one.

The single 12 oz. beer set me back $1.95. The label proclaimed an ABV of 6.8%. It was also described as "Cerveza De Los Muertos" or Day of the Dead Beer. Again...hmmm...

The beer poured into my glass a hazy, orange/amber color with a foamy, white head. I coaxed the head up to about a 1/2 inch high and it quickly disappeared. leaving a thin, minimal cap of lacing behind.

Aroma was indistinct citrus hops and mild pine. Some floral and herbal notes. Sweet, caramel malt in the background.

Taste followed the nose. Wow, way better than I expected! Fruit juicy hops. Grapefruit, lemon and stone fruit. Respectable hops bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel with just a bit of stickiness. Good carbonation. A bit of a dry finish with hops bitterness left behind on the palate.

Not bad! I've certainly had worse and, hey, I didn't die, in spite of the name! I'm giving DOA IPA a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment