Thursday, January 15, 2015

Burnside Brewing Company - Project Ale

Beer for boards...
Wouldn't it make you feel good to know you helped support a good cause just by drinking a beer? Heck, that takes some very minimal effort for me. I'm drinking beer all the time! It's like money in the bank!

Burnside Brewing Company is donating a portion of the proceeds from their Project Ale to benefit the Burnside Skatepark. I've never been to the Burnside Skatepark because, well, I haven't been on a skateboard since 1972...

Hey! Why are there so many grown-ass men riding around on skateboards in Portland? I'm thinking that if you can grow a beard down to your bellybutton, it's probably time to hang up that deck and get a bus pass, know what I mean?

Project Ale is an Imperial IPA with an ABV of 8% and 99.5% IBU's. I picked up the bomber for about five bucks...somewhere. It was in my fridge for a while. How was it? Let's get to it.

The beer poured into my Spiegelau IPA glass a slightly cloudy, orange/amber color with an off-white head. The head rose up to two fingers thick and dissipated slowly. Copious amounts of clumpy lacing was left behind.

Aroma was big on citrus, pine and stone fruit. Orange and lemon. Pine needles. Sweet, earthy malt in the background.

Taste followed the nose. Bitter, earthy, pine and obscure citrus hops flavors dominated throughout the entire drink, Sweet, bready, caramel malt. Toffee. 

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel. Appropriate carbonation. Creamy finish with the the malt flavor left behind on the palate at the end. No noticeable alcohol.

Overall, Project Ale is an easy drinking, well-balanced IIPA. Good stuff and Burnside Brewing should be able to raise a nice amount of skatepark fundage with this brew, I'm giving Project Ale a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment