Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Breakside Brewery - Amuse Belgian Style Ale

Someone's not clownin'
around...
Do you know how much I despise clowns? No, they aren't funny and they aren't cute. You can stop right there because I'm not having any of it! Clowns are evil, man! Sure, one minute it's all floppy shoes and seltzer bottles and the next thing you know SOMEBODY is tied up in the backseat of a teeny, tiny car with 50 vicious, killer clowns! shudder

Whoa, Nelly! (Quoting Bozo, here, kids.) It's going to be hard to make it through this review, but I'm going to give it my best shot. Tonight, I'm drinking and reviewing Breakside Brewery's Amuse Belgian Style Ale. Guess what's on the label? Yup, you know it...A CLOWN! Why you do this to me, Breakside? Why?

The beer comes with a an ABV of 5%. It's a Belgian-style saison. The label is creepy. How does it taste, you ask? Let's find out!

Amuse poured into the glass a golden straw color with a white, foamy head. The head rose up to about a 1/2 inch high and dissipated quickly. Minimal spotty lacing was left behind.

Aroma was light Belgian spice: coriander, ginger and clove. Lemon zest. Floral and herbal notes. Biscuity yeast.

Taste followed the nose. Ginger and lemon. Light, peppery spice. It seemed a little thin on the flavor profile at first, but the subtle complexity kind of sneaked up on my taste buds the more I drank it. Very interesting.

Medium to thin mouthfeel. Dry finish. Spicy, peppery, yeasty flavor was left behind on the palate at the end.

Overall, this is a very pleasant, easy drinking beer. Perhaps just a tad lacking in flavor, but for an after work, before dinner brew, it was just what I needed. Refreshing! I'm giving Amuse a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie. The Wonder Beagle really loved the smell and drooled up a puddle for this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment