Sunday, December 14, 2014

McMenamins - Kris Kringle Traditional Yuletide Ale 2014

Tis the seasonal...
I love a good winter warmer. Yes, indeed, I do. IMAIO (In my all important opinion), holiday ales are the best part of the holiday season. Everything else is just so much...humbug. There, I said it and I'm not taking it back! I'm Scrooge and proud! You can take your Elf on the Shelf and stick if where the sun don't shine...which I think some of you have already done. (Have you googled these disturbing Elf on the Shelf pictures? Try "Elf on the Shelf inappropriate". You're welcome.)

Back to the holiday beer! Today, I'm reviewing the 2014 version of McMenamins Kris Kringle Traditional Yuletide Ale. This brew is available now at all McMenamins locations until...December 25th. In comes with an ABV of 6.84% and 77 IBU's. I received a 22 oz. bomber in the mail. It just showed up on my porch one rainy afternoon. I love it when that happens.

The beer poured into my pint glass a hazy, dark, ruddy brown color with creamy, tan head. The head came up to almost an inch high and dissipated at a moderate rate. Spotty lacing was left behind.

Aroma was a pleasant mix of earthy malt, herbal hops, and cocoa. Reminded me a little bit of fruitcake with a candied dark fruit smell in the background.

Taste followed the nose. Grassy, herbal, citrus-y hops. A hint of pine. Cocoa and caramel flavors. Earthy malt. Dark cherries. A hint of booze. Lots of good stuff rolling around on the ol' taste buds. Nice!

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel. Low carbonation. Creamy finish. Respectable hops bitterness left on the palate at the end.

This is a wonderful brew. It might not be everyone's idea of a winter warmer--lacking a massive, boozy bang--but it's a smooth, flavorful beer that definitely delivers the flavors of the holiday season. I recommend getting yourself some before it's gone. I'm giving Kris Kringle a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment