Monday, December 15, 2014

Breakside Brewery - La Tormenta Dry Hopped Sour Ale

Perfect storm?
There are so many, many, MANY amazing breweries here in Stumptown. Breakside Brewery is another wonderful purveyor of delicious craft beer that I can reach by city bus in about 15 minutes. I could walk there in a pinch. Yes, you should be jealous. In addition to producing a top notch, solid NW IPA, Breakside Brewery puts out an incredible array of creative and daringly different brews. Oh, yeah, their pub grub is pretty darn awesome, too.

Tonight, I found a 22 oz. bomber of Breakside Brewery's La Tormenta Dry Hopped Sour Ale in the cold case at New Seasons. A very reasonable price tag of $5.99 made my purchase a no-brainer. I'm drinking this brew while watching the Blazers stomp San Antonio. Will the current 10 point lead make the beer taste better? Let's find out...

The beer poured into my lil' snifter a slightly hazy, peach-tinted, orange color. The bubbly white head rose up to about a 1/4 inch tall and dissipated quickly. No lacing was left behind, but pinpoint carbonation was seen rising up from the bottom of the glass throughout the entire drink.

Aroma was big on tropical fruit. Lots of pineapple and guava. Stone fruit in the mix, too. Grassy, herbal, citrus-y hops. A bit of brett.

Taste followed the nose with loads of tropical fruit flavors. Mildly bitter hops bite was perfectly balanced against bready, yeasty, malty funk. Delicious!

Medium to slightly thinner mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Quick fade on the finish but very pleasant hops and malt flavors left behind on the palate at the end. I like it! It's an easy drink that left me wanting more after I polished off the bomber.

Overall, this is a winner of a beer that you just can't beat for the price. I highly recommend. La Tormenta earns a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment