Sunday, November 16, 2014

Widmer Brothers Brewing - Steel Bridge Porter

It's a steel!
I sure do love tasty, tasty beer. Do you know what I love even more? Tasty, tasty beer ON SALE! Yes! Give me a deal that stretches my beer budget and I'm a happy man. Today, I found Widmer Brothers Brewing's Steel Bridge Porter on sale at New Seasons for $2.99 for the 22 oz. bomber. Deal!

That's a handsome label on the bottle and an appropriate name for a beer brewed here in Portland, Oregon. Portland is bisected by the majestic Willamette River (pronounced Will-AM-ette, damn it!) and the bridges that span the waterway are some of the most easily recognized landmarks in the City of Roses.

My most favorite bridge is the Steel Bridge. It's a squat, ugly piece of steam-punk metal that has faithfully served the citizens of Stumptown for over a hundred years. What the Steel Bridge loses in aesthetics, it more than makes up in utility. Thousands of commuters cross over the Steel Bridge every day, by bike, car and MAX train. Does the beer live up to the rep of the bridge? Let's find out!

The beer poured into my glass a pitch black color with a massive, creamy, mocha head. The head was more than two fingers thick and dissipated slowly. A full cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was roasted malt up front. Notes of cocoa and coffee. Just what you would expect from a porter.

Taste followed the nose. Rich, roasted malt flavor with just a hint of smokiness. Milk chocolate and espresso. Mildly bitter at the end.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Smooth, creamy finish. No hint of any alcohol taste to this 5.6% brew.

Overall, this is a nice, easy drinking beer. Very pleasant. Not a flavor bomb by any stretch, but it's perfect for what it is: a well-crafted, affordable porter. I like it and I'm giving Steel Bridge Porter a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment