Saturday, October 4, 2014

Ninkasi Brewing Company - Oktoberfest Festbier Lager

It's Oktoberfest at Casa de Wolfgang
I'm reviewing my second beer from Eugene, Oregon's Ninkasi Brewing Company tonight. Those good folks brew some solid beers, I'll tell you what. Whenever I'm in Eugene, I make it a point to stop at Ninkasi and see what's on tap in their tasting room. They haven't disappointed me yet.

Tonight, I'm watching UFC Fight Night on FX and drinking beer. Yeah, that's pretty much what I do best. My lovely wife bought me a giant pilsner glass from Pier One the other day. She's so thoughtful. The glass holds pretty much an entire 22 oz. bomber. The beer I filled it with is Ninkasi's Oktoberfest Festbier Lager. Seemed appropriate. The beer comes with an ABV of 5.9%. How was it, you ask?

The beer poured into giant glass a clear, orange/amber color with a light tan head. The head rose up to two fingers thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A minimal cap of spotty lacing was left behind.

Aroma was sweet, bready malt up front. Lemon and orange citrus smell in the background. A bit of brown sugar. Caramel. Some floral notes.

Taste served up spicy, herbal, citrus hops with a bitter punch that I wasn't expecting. Bready, earthy malt. Hints of overripe fruit. Excellent!

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Semi-dry finish with bitter hops and earthy malt flavors left nicely balanced on the palate at the end.

Overall, this is brew offers a nice Pacific Northwest twist on the traditional German style. I like it! It's easy to drink and has plenty of flavor. A bit one dimensional, as you would expect from a lager, but it's a crisp, clean, easy drink. I'm giving Oktoberfest Festbier Lager a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment