Sunday, October 26, 2014

Habanero IPA Hot Sauce

Careful chopping those chiles...just sayin'

I have a bunch of homegrown Habanero Chiles that I need to use up. Man, they are hot this year! Seriously, They didn't get very big, but they pack a helluva wallop! Ow! I ate a Ghost Chile once and these peppers are almost as hot. No lie. Actually, I'm not sure they are Habaneros. These suckers are tiny, red and they don't really taste like Habaneros. Hey, I bought the plant at the Grocery Outlet, so there you go. Who knows what they are! Any botanists out there?

There are literally hundreds of commercial hot sauces for sale at your local supermarket. I know because a good number of them can also be found in the inside door of my fridge. In fact, I have such an extensive hot sauce "collection" that my wife has imposed a rule that I cannot buy a NEW hot sauce, unless an OLD hot sauce has been used up. Heh, heh, of course that rule does not include HOMEMADE hot sauce. Loophole!!!

Of course, I use beer in my hot sauce recipe, but you knew that already, didn't you? I really like this one. It has a spicy, Indian flavor that really pops. Here's the specifics:
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup red onion, minced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large carrot, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups of your favorite India Pale Ale
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 8 - 10 Habanero Chiles, minced
  • 1 Jalapeno Chile, minced
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1 tsp tandoori spice
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
Add all the ingredients to a sauce pan, except the lime juice, and simmer for about an hour. Add a bit more beer as the sauce reduces. Remove from the heat and let it cool for another hour. Pour into a blender, squeeze in the lime juice and puree. Bottle and refrigerate. Use liberally on anything that calls for hot sauce.

FYI: The tandoori spice mix I used is my wife's own homemade blend. The basic spices are as follows: 
  • 1 tsp ground ginger 
  • 1 tsp ground cumin 
  • 1 tsp ground coriander 
  • 1 tsp paprika 
  • 1 tsp turmeric 
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment